Carbs always seem to get a bad rap, but the truth is, our bodies actually need them. They are the body’s main source of fuel and what gives us energy. It’s best to steer clear of simple carbs that cause the “rush, then crash” such as sugar, processed foods, white rice, white bread and white pasta. Complex carbs take longer to break down and give you a steadier supply of energy.
Serving this Mexi-Mac along with a side salad topped with balsamic/olive oil vinaigrette will give you a healthy balance of carbs, protein and fat.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1.25lbs Ground Turkey (93/7 is preferable)
- 1 Small Onion, Chopped
- 1 Clove Garlic, Minced
- Box of Finely Chopped Tomatoes
- Diced Green Chili’s
- Pinto Beans, drained and rinsed (look for BPA free brands such as Eden)
- Chili Powder – To taste
- Cumin – To taste
- Salt & Pepper – To taste
- 2 Cups Whole Wheat Elbow Macaroni
- ½ Cup Reduced Fat or Dairy-Free Cheese
Here’s what you do:
- Brown turkey in a skillet with onion and garlic.
- Drain liquid off, then add tomatoes, green chili’s, pinto beans and spices.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low.
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil, then add macaroni.
- Let turkey mixture simmer until the macaroni is done (usually 6-7 minutes).
- Drain macaroni.
- Mix macaroni and turkey mixture together.
- Place in a broiler safe dish and top with cheese.
- Place under the broiler for 5-8 minutes, or until cheese has melted.
**This makes enough for several meals and actually tastes even better the next day!