It’s about to get cold again…yuck! I’m ready for Spring!
This is one of our favorite soup recipes, especially during cold weather. It’s really versatile and you can easily add a little more of everything to make enough to last you several days. This is one of those meals that actually tastes even better the second and third day. I usually make some Vegan Gluten Free Bread to go with it!
Vegan Slow Cooker Lasagna Soup
Here’s what you need:
For the Soup
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 2 small zucchini, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 32 ounce can of crushed tomatoes (Be sure to look for cans with a BPA free liner!)
- 6 ounces tomato paste (Be sure to look for cans with a BPA free liner!)
- Salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste
- 2 tablespoons Italian Seasoning
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 8 ounces brown rice pasta (penne works well, or lasagna sheets cut into squares after they are cooked)
- 1 ½ cups cashews, soaked*
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh parsley for topping (optional)
Here’s what you do:
- Place all of the ingredients for the soup (minus the pasta) in the slow cooker, stir together, cover with the lid, and cook on high for 6 hours.
- To make the cashew ricotta, drain and rinse the cashews then add them to a food processor or high speed blender along with the remaining ingredients. Blend until smooth, but still thick in texture. You will have to scrape down the sides in between blending.
- When the soup is done cooking, bring a large pot of water with 1 tablespoon of salt to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain, then add to your soup and stir.
- Serve with a dollop of cashew ricotta on top and enjoy! 🙂
*Soak cashews in a large bowl covered with a few inches of water for at least 6 hours. If you’re in a hurry, you can soak them in boiling hot water for 30 minutes. If you have a Vitamix or other high speed blender, you won’t need to soak them.