One of our favorite Office episodes has a reference to Turtles, so, it’s becoming a common saying in our house… LOL!
Turtles are typically made with milk chocolate and caramel, so lots and lots of refined sugar. These Turtles are made with simple ingredients and the sweetness comes from dates! When we want a sweet treat, these are our go-to!
Here’s what you need:
- 60 Pecan Halves
- 10 oz bag of Vegan Chocolate (I use 72% Simple Truth Chocolate Chips)
- 20 Large Pitted Dates
- Optional: Peanut Butter (Peanuts and salt as the only ingredients!)
- Optional: Chopped Almonds
Here’s what you do:
- Soak dates in hot water for about 10 minutes.
- Drain water, then add to a food processor.
- Blend together until it becomes a creamy paste. (You may have to stop a couple of times to scrape down the sides.)
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil & lightly spray or wipe down with coconut oil or other neutral tasting oil.
- Drop date paste in small teaspoonful balls on baking sheet. (You may need to use a knife to rake it off of the spoon.) **Should make about 20.
- Place 3 pecan halves on top of the date paste balls and lightly mash them in to make them look more like patties.
- Using a knife that has been dipped in coconut oil, slide it under the date paste and flip them over so that the pecans are now on the bottom.
- If you are adding peanut butter, do this now. Place a small amount on top of each date patty.
- Place the baking sheet in the freezer.
- Put your chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 60 seconds. Stir and repeat in 30 second intervals until the chocolate is melted.
- Remove the baking sheet from the freezer.
- Using a fork, dip the bottom of the turtle in the chocolate, then turn it over to coat the top. Flip it back over and lift it out pecan side down…let the excess chocolate run off.
- Place it back on the baking sheet and top it with the chopped almonds if you are using those. Because they are cold from being in the freezer, the chocolate will harden faster.
- Once all of the turtles have had their chocolate baths, place them back in the freezer to set, 10 minutes or so.
- Keep any leftovers in the freezer.