Before I met my husband, I had never even heard of Hot Cross Buns. Then once he made some… OMG! I was hooked! All of the spices mixed with the fruit in a warm, slightly sweet cinnamon bun…YUM!
Needless to say, when we went vegan and gluten free, this was one thing we thought was off limits. I’m not one to give up on things, so I gave a vegan, gluten free version a shot and we were both really surprised and pleased with the results! Now, anyone that bakes gluten free knows that the texture will never be the same as regular flour. The texture of these is somewhat like a cake, but the taste is spot on!
Vegan Gluten Free Hot Cross Buns
Here’s what you need:
- 2/3 Cup Almond Milk
- 1 T Coconut Oil
- 2 T Coconut Sugar
- 2 1/4 tsp Yeast
- 1 3/4 Cup Gluten Free Flour Blend (I used this recipe: Gluten Free Flour Blend )
- 3/4 Cup Almond Flour (not almond meal)
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/3 Cup Coconut Sugar
- 4 T Cold Coconut Oil
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Allspice
- 1 tsp Ginger
- 1 tsp Cloves
- 1/2 Cup Raisins
- 1 Apple (chopped in small pieces)
- Zest of an Orange
- 1 tsp Orange Juice
- 1 tsp each of: Cinnamon, Ginger, Cloves, Allspice
- For the cross piping: GF Flour + enough water to make a paste.
- Apricot Jam
- Vegan Frosting (I brushed the tops with this: Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting)
Here’s what you do:
- Heat almond milk in microwave until it’s about the temperature of warm bath water (not too hot, not too cold).
- Stir in the rest of the wet ingredients and let it sit for about 5-10 minutes to let the yeast activate. (It should be poofy on top.)
- While the yeast mix is activating, combine all the fruit mixture ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all of the dry ingredients.
- Add the yeast mixture to your dry mix and stir well with a wooden spoon.
- Gently fold the fruit mixture in.
- Lightly coat a pie plate with coconut oil.
- With a 1/3 measuring cup, scoop out dough, not completely filling the measuring cup, and drop onto pie plate.
- Continue until you have about 8 equal size buns.
- If you are piping the cross, do this now by placing your paste in a baggie with one corner cut off or a piping bag.
- Preheat the oven to 350
- Cover the pie plate with plastic wrap and set on top of the preheating oven for 30 minutes to proof.
- Remove plastic wrap and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the tops are golden brown.
- Brush with your preferred topping as soon as they come out of the oven.
- Enjoy! ❤